I am live from my newly upgraded computer tower which is going to be my “card” computer from here on out. Of course I can’t find my printer software so I can’t scan in cards right now. That is not good. I want to get more active when it comes to trading for set needs but I need my scanner to work first.
I think I’m done with the product previews for baseball and basketball. I don’t collect those sports enough and I don’t understand all of the products like I do with hockey. So we’re going with hockey previews from here on out:
2007-08 Upper Deck The Cup– This is the release that all hockey collectors wait for every year, even the ones that can’t afford to buy boxes like me. For around $325 you receive one tin of 4 to 7 cards. The sell sheet says 4 cards but I have seen breaks on the Beckett message board where anywhere from 4 to 7 cards are in a tin. The main draw of this set is the rookie auto patch subset. There is 1 rookie auto patch in every box. There are 66 different “level 2” rookie auto patches numbered to 249 and 6 “level 1” rookie auto patches numbered to 99. If you hit a Kane, Price or Toews in this product then you will make some money on EBay. There are also a huge number of different autograph, patch and autographed patch cards. The most popular cards outside of the 1/1’s are going to be the Limited Logos auto patch cards. The design looks similar to Upper Deck Exquisite Basketball and it is a great look for the set. If there wasn’t 88 of them and if they didn’t cost so much it would be a set I would love to collect.
I only recommend buying a tin of this if you have a lot of money and you want to take a gamble. Otherwise buying singles off of EBay is usually the way to go. If you are going to buy some of this product I would suggest you go all in and buy a case of 6 tins. It’s a lot more money but you have a much better chance of hitting a rookie #’d to 99 or a “property of” stick card that is a 1/1 to sell and make your money back. You do not have a good chance of making your money back if you buy one tin of this product.
The reason I’m not going to buy a tin (other than the high price) it’s because of the lack of Panthers. Here are all of the Panthers cards in the set:
- Base cards – 1 – Tomas Vokoun
- Signature patches – 1 – Tomas Vokoun / 75
- Emblems of Endorsements – 1 – Tomas Vokoun /15
- Limited Logos – 1 – Tomas Vokoun / 50
- Honorable Numbers – None
- Dual Honorable Numbers – None
- Scripted Swatches – None
- Dual Scripted Swatches – None
- Hardware Heroes – None (of course the Panthers never win awards so I can’t blame UD)
- Stanley Cup Titlists – None (see above)
- All Star Royalty – 1 – Tomas Vokoun / 1 (and he’s in his Nashville pads)
- Stanley Cup Signatures – None (of course)
- Cup Chirography – None
- Cup Foundations Jerseys – 1 – Tomas Vokoun / 1
- Dual Logo Shields – 5 – Bouwmeester/Horton, Horton/Cammalleri, Bouwmeester/Jovanovski, Jokinen/Selanne, Jokinen/Vokoun (Wow! Some of these are not Vokoun! Of course these are 1/1’s)
- Dual Logo Auto Shields – 1 – Horton/St. Louis / 1
- “Property Of” – None
- Legendary Cuts – None (Even though Roger Neilson is one of the cut autos)
- Cup Enshrinements – None
- Cup Enshrinements – Dual – None
- Cup Enshrinements – Triple – None
- Cup Jerseys – Trios – 1 – Vokoun/Jagr/Hasek / 15
- Cup Jerseys – Quads – None
- Printing Plates – 25 – Cory Murphy auto, Stefan Meyer auto, Vokoun Cup base, Martin Lojek Victory, Martin Lojek MVP, Lojek Artifacts, Stefan Meyer Artifacts, Martin Lojek OPC, Cory Murphy OPC, Martin Lojek SPx, Cory Murphy Victory, Stefan Meyer SP Game Used, Martin Lojek SP Game Used, Cory Murphy SP Game Used, Martin Lojek Ice, Tanner Glass Ice, Stefan Meyer Ice, Cory Murphy Ice, Stefan Meyer Mini-Jersey, Cory Murphy SPA, Stefan Meyer SPA, Martin Lojek Ultimate, Tanner Glass Ultimate, Cory Murphy Premier, Stefan Meyer Premier (all plates are / 4)
- Autograph Rookie Patch Level 2 – 2 – Cory Murphy, Stefan Meyer (both numbered to 249)
- Autograph Rookie Patch Level 1 – None
- Autograph Rookies – Non-Patch – None
Sense a bit of a pattern? Other than two rookie autos the only non 1/1 cards in the set are Tomas Vokoun cards. They couldn’t have mixed in Weiss, Horton, Bouwmeester, Booth or Olesz in the set at all? Murphy and Meyer would also have “gold” parallels of their auto patches numbered to their jersey numbers. Vokoun has a bunch of low-numbered base parallels. So this set is not for the Panthers collector. It will be next year if Matthias and Frolik make the team.
Thanks for reading.